- INTRODUCTION Communication devices such as mobile handsets and related wireless innovations have become ubiquitous/common. Multiple domains in the field of Communication and Embedded devices are being increasingly explored. The use of cell phones has rapidly increased now a days. Developments in communication technologies have lead to the growth of dense networks. As a means of communication, notice boards are widely trendy with its applications ranging from schools, colleges, hospitals to major organizations. Notice boards effectively tackle the global problem of deforestation by conveying messages at large without the use of paper. Such innovative measures will go a long way in adapting the damage to the environment. GSM technology aims in reducing the complexity for sending a message by incorporating SMS (Short Message Service) technology. This technology can be used in public areas such as hospitals, schools, multiplexes and buildings to improve the security system and also to spread awareness in an emergency. The objective of this paper is to analysis the various proposals and technologies of a SMS controlled wireless display board that may eventually replace with the presently used paper based and programmable notice boards.
- To display information on notice board using GSM technology.
2. LITERATURE REVIEW Wireless communication has announced its arrival on big stage and world is going mobile. As we wish to control everything without moving an inch, notice board needs to have wireless access. Notice board is primary thing in any organization or public utility place like stations, railway station, parks etc. But sticking various notices day-to-day is a difficult process. In present digitalized word, the exploit of GSM and SMS is popular. A new display using the GSM technology to access it by communication between micro-controller and mobile would be effective. With the development of cellular networks in the1970’s for increasing the lack of frequencies in the radiotelephone services which in turn lead to introduction of AMPS (Advanced Mobile Phone System) where the transmission was analog based .This was known to be the first generation in cellular networks. The second generation was based on digital transmission and was called with various abbreviations as GSM (Global System for Mobile communications), ERMES (European Radio Messaging System). Various Cordless telephone standards were also introduced during this time only. The third generation has risen with the unification of different technologies; some of them which are popularly known are FPLMTS (Future Public Land Mobile Telecommunications System), UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunication System), and IMT-2000(International Mobile Telecommunication).
3. PROJECT REQUIREMENT
- HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS
3.1.1 GSM 900A
GSM module is used in many communication devices which are based on GSM (Global System for Mobile Communication) technology. It is used to interact with GSM network using a computer. GSM module only understands AT commands, and can respond accordingly.
Figure 1: GSM 900A Module (Source: circuitdigest.com)
The SIM900 is a complete Quad-band GSM Module which delivers GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHZ performance for voice,SMS and Data with low power consumption.
- Arduino UNO
Arduino is an open-source platform used for building electronics projects. Arduino consists of both a Physical programmable circuit board (often referred to as a microcontroller ) and a piece of software ,or IDE (Integrated Development Environment) that runs on your computer ,used to write and upload computer code to the physical board. The Arduino platform has become quite popular with people just starting out with electronics, and for good reason. Unlike most previous programmable circuits board ,the arduino does not need a separate piece of hardware (called a programmer) in order to load code into the board –you can simply use a USB cable . Finally,Arduino provides a standard form factor that breaks out the functions of the micro-controller into a more accessible package
Figure 2: Arduino UNO (source: images.search.yahoo.com)
3.1.3 LCD (16*2)
Figure 3: LCD (Source: wikipidia.org)
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) modules are preferred over seven segment and other multi segment leds. A 16*2 means it can display 16 characters per line and there are 2 such lines. This LCD has two registers, namely command and data.
The command register stores the command instructions given to the LCD.A command is an instruction given to LCD to do a predefined task like initializing it, clearing its screen, setting the cursor position, controlling display etc. The data register stores the data to be displayed on the LCD. The data is the ASCII value of the character to be displayed on the LCD. We have used LCD to display notice send by user to this SIM card.
A potentiometer is a three terminal resistor with a sliding or rotating contact that forms an adjustable voltage divider.
Figure 4: Potentiometer
A potentiometer is a manually adjustable variable resistor with 3 terminals. Two terminals are connected to both ends of a resistive element, and the third terminal connects to a sliding contact, called a wiper, moving over the resistive element. The position of the wiper determines the output voltage of the potentiometer. The potentiometer essentially functions as a variable voltage divider. The resistive element can be seen as two resistors in series (potentiometer resistance), where the wiper position determines the resistance ratio of the first resistor to the second resistor.
- SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
3.2.1 ARDUINO IDE
The Arduino Integrated Development Environment – or Arduino Software (IDE)-contans a text editor for writing code , a message area , a text console , a toolbar with buttons for common functions and a series of menus. It connects to the Arduino and Genuino hardware to upload program, and communicate with them. Arduino is an open source computer hardware and software company, project, and user community that designs and manufactures single-board microcontrollers and microcontroller kits for building digital devices and interactive objects that can sense and control objects in the physical world. The project’s products are distributed as open-source hardware and software, which are licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License or the GNU General Public License, permitting the manufacture of Arduino boards and software distribution by anyone.
3.2.2 PROTEUS /SIMULATION SOFTWERE
Proteus is used to simulate system through which we can detect weather system working or not and used to print PCB layout such that able to translate simulated system on PCB, according component place to describe system on PCB.
Figure 5: Proteus /Simulation
In this project we use mobile phone to text the message to be display on the LCD display. Whenever user wants to display the message, user sends the message using his mobile defining the message to the number of the subscriber identity module (SIM) which is inserted in the GSM. The GSM module receives the message. AT(Attention) commands are serially transfer to the GSM from Arduino and then in return the GSM modem transmit the store message through COM port. The Arduino validates the message and then display the message in the LCD display board. Various time division multiplexing techniques have been suggested to make the display boards function efficiently.
|4.1 COMPLETE BLOCK DIAGRAM|
Figure 6: Block diagram of system
4.2 FLOW CHART
Figure 7: flow chart of proposed system
5. result analysis The message send from mobile phone is received on SIM card which is inserted in GSM and microcontroller control the GSM using AT commands. Received message from GSM is display on LCD.
Figure 8: Result analysis
6. ERROR ANALYSIS AND APPLICATION
6.1 ERROR ANALYSIS We have encountered some errors in the hardware in our project. Some components were not able to work properly according to our requirement. Though some components worked properly at the time of initialization, lately those components showed some problems in themselves. Some components were damaged due to over voltage, current.
- Railway stations
- Advertisement in shopping malls
- Educational institute
- Managing traffic in metropolitan cities and other public utility places
7. CONCLUSION AND FUTURE SCOPE
7.1 CONCLUSION The prototype of the GSM based electronic notice board is designed successfully. It can be easily integrated with all general purpose display board and thus proving its mobility. The system accepts the message to be displayed in the form of Short Message Service(SMS), stores it , checks for its validation and displays it on the display unit if it from an authorized user. This system supports only one message at a time. This limitation can be tackled by the use of higher end microcontroller and extended RAM .The proposed system can be efficiently used for transfer of message instantly in the campus.
7.2 FUTURE SCOPE Temperature display during periods wherein no message buffers are empty is one such theoretical improvement that is well possible. Another very interesting and significant improvement would be to accommodate multiple receiver MODEMS at different positions in the geographical area carrying duplicate SIM cards. Multilingual display can be another added variation in the project we can able to store messages for long time by using SD memory card.
NOTE: THIS PROJECT IS DONE BY
Ram Binay Sharma